Thursday 5 June 2008

Learning from the master

OK, I fess up - it's my own book

So, I've been practising with Sean's fly rod and reel and am slowly beginning to get the hang of it. Apperently there are two key elements to every successful fly cast. First, a stiff wrist. You move your forearm, you don't flick with your wrist, which is the temptation. Second, the stop. You need to move the rod between 11.00 o'clock forwards and one o'clock backwards, remembering to snap to a stop in each direction. This means casting backwards as well as forwards.

Hard to believe that something that sounds so simple, can be so hard.

2 comments:

haumovie said...

I did wonder about the comment in the book about flicking your wrist. Mind you, it can be useful with a flick, but I think it's part of the curriculum in the intermediate-advanced learner flyfishing instructional pamphlets soon available from a retailer near you.

Rob said...

Hmm, maybe I was getting confused with Flick Fishing for the iPhone!